It is currently 25 Jun 2017 15:36

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the BC RV Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access, to view discussions and access our other features join our free community. You will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Old Camper for Hunting
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015 15:01 

Well, setting up, taking down, and packing up a wall tent camp by myself just got to be little too much for this old phart. The wife suggested I get a camper for hunting. Mentioning this to my hunting partner, he said his dad's friend had one for sale, a '98 Adventurer 810WS by Slumber Queen. It was only a little outside my price range. Used half a dozen times and tarped mostly. Sad story. Like new inside with a shower, no more standing in front of the tin airtight with a pail and a oven, biscuits with the bacon-n-eggs.

I was a little hesitant to add more projects, I have enough in the workshop and on the travel trailer. Any RV coming out of the showroom is going to need work, add in 17 wet winters. At least aluminum and wood is easy. In '74 I had frame mounted camper tie downs custom made , now they are off the shelf. But I still have to install them in the rain. Then there is wiring, both to the truck and in the camper. But the real work is mounting jacks to the canopy/boat loader. And then there is making two sets of saw horses.

I will forget all that when I get up to warmth, no wood stove to burn out during the night.(It's got double tanks)

Post subject: Re: New Old Camper for Hunting
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2015 16:19 
Forum moderator

The price will soon be forgotten when you enjoy your trips more.

Depending on how it was tarped..... could be good or bad.

Metal or rubber roof?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015 22:52 

It's been a couple of busy weeks with my new old camper. There was wet on the dinette side wing, so that was the reason the cushions were up on the bed. mmmm. When I looked on the roof, I figured the fridge roof vent seal had leaked so that the first order of business as well as the fridge, storage, and propane box door frames. When I tried my first drive out after almost 40 years , I didn't raise it high enough, caught and bent the jack on that corner. What a way to find out the wood wasn't rotten. It got injected full of epoxy in case it had cracked. I've seen concrete columns repaired that way. Wet plywood seems to take forever to dry at this time of year. It hasn't gotten wetter, but I guess there was a reservoir of damp beside the fridge.

The back corners wings have rot, but apparently that's a given on this style of campers, no matter the brand. It will wait for a couple of days in summer when I feel like it. The joy of stick-n-tin. A bigger summer project will be doing all the joints with good sealant. That's one you smooth side boys have to do as well.

Since I want to use it in the fall ,it needed a second battery. I lucked out,I found some handy connectors and switch at Princess Auto. I think they are intended for marine use. They weren't that level of quality but they were good enough for a old camper. The connectors were for trolling motors, two prong 8ga. one was surface mount. The other thing was a 4 position 400amp switch ,1,1+2,2, and off. This allows me to switch in to the truck ,#1+2, for charging while traveling and switch to house batteries ,#1, for camping. Off allows me to plug in at home without boiling the battery. I made the connection ahead of the converter.

Yes, I know 8ga is light, but the manufacturer only used 10ga. I was going to change that but routing was such that I gave that idea up. The 2nd battery got mounted ahead of the passenger side wheel well. This was specific to my truck and the bed liner.

I'm taking it out this weekend, so I hit the thrift stores for kitchenware. I now have a purple, well eggplant, pot for spaghetti.

I fixed a couple of things the factory should have done, but overall I'm pleased with the quality of construction the boys in Abbotsford did.(they are made in Yakima, now) The design had impressed a couple of my friends, one with a Bigfoot, the other a Lance. An Adventurer 810WS

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015 23:36 
Forum moderator

Well, once you pull all of the tin off you can then reroute any wires that you might want to.

If it has a rubber roof, check Get-a-Way... they used to have "blemished" rubber roof at a great price.

Sounds like overall you got yourself something nice.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]