It is currently 25 Jun 2017 15:30

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the BC RV Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access, to view discussions and access our other features join our free community. You will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tires - avoiding a costly mistake
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011 20:35 
Forum moderator

I've been advised by someone who had the most unfortunate experience to blow a tire on their Class C (after only a little more than an hour on the highway).
The tires weren't that old (5 yearish) and had oodles of tread. However, a little more than an hour into their trip one of the rear dualies blew - taking out a holding tank and doing other damage too.

They were a bit puzzled as to how this could have happened - they were careful about the weights and were not exceeding any weight ratings (but nevertheless were still heavily loaded). RV kept in shed while not in use.
Turns out that truck tires are rated on the assumption that they are only loaded 50% of the time. Of course, in an RV you are loaded 100% of the time.

So, it apparently can be a costly assumption to run your MH tires for the usual 6 or 7 years (or shudder - longer) that many people do.

I know that many have no issues, but for these people... once bitten, twice shy.

Post subject: Re: Tires - avoiding a costly mistake
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011 12:06 
Forum moderator

There's several reasons for a tire blow out, but the most common reasons for an RV tire blow out are being over loaded, and low tire pressure.

I've gotten in the habit of checking all tire pressures TV and TT each morning before towing. Takes only a couple minutes for that peace of mind. My personal opinion is that I'd rather run a few pounds over inflated than under inflated.

2008 5.4L F150 FX4 4x4 Crew Cab

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012 22:14 
Or uneven tire pressure on duallies. The tire with more pressure takes the majority of the weight.
Single tires it is easy to see a tire with low pressure, but dual rears can sometimes be hard to tell if just ONE tire is low...
I've had an inner rear tire blow apart at 70mph, it was pretty danged loud, and a great wakeup call!
;)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013 17:22 

I replaced ours at 5 years. The sidewall cracks were up to 3/16 inch deep, which I read was too risky. I am keeping the new ones covered and exercising them more often. Even in winter when the MH is not insured, I move it back and forth in the driveway every month. Stopped using tire polish after reading it shortens the lifetime.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016 20:41 

We just replaced ours, they looked good but date code on front tires was 2002 and I couldn't see the back codes. I think they may have only been on a couple years, but I didn't want to push it. Besides we are going to the yukon in september and I was planning on replacing them before then, decided why wait. We are heading out to Monck park by Merritt, then Otter Lake and Manning Park next week. Didn't want to blow a tire now and wonder why I was waiting.

I went from 225/70 -16 to 235/85-16 (mhshipped with 215/85-16 stated as minimal size), fit is good. gained a couple inches and now the tires gvwr is higher than motorhomes. now speedo is out 4.4%, not too worried about it as I don't speed in this hotrod.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]