It is currently 25 Jun 2017 15:31

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the BC RV Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access, to view discussions and access our other features join our free community. You will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Towing a tent trailer with a ford escape.
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014 10:01 

Hi I have a 2005 3L ford escape with tow package , equalizer hitch . The tent trailer is 3200 lbs loaded on the scales, the trailer has brakes .What can be a problem with the escape. I have gone from tenting to tent trailer to 24 ft bunk trailer to 32ft trailer back to tenting and now tent trailer again .

Post subject: Re: Towing a tent trailer with a ford escape.
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014 13:49 

I believe your car's towing capacity is 3500 lbs, you are far to close to that figure for comfort. Trailer brakes are only one consideration, you will be using them a lot. You also need to climb the hill which will be a severe strain on your drive train. We pulled 3500 lbs with a 4.0 Ranger through the Hope-Princeton, it was not fun at all. Got passed by a fat kid on a bicycle going past the slide and down the mine hill was a white knuckler.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014 14:32 
Forum moderator

I agree with Roy in that you are pretty darn close to the max figure.
Does your owners manual give a maximum combined towing rate? The trailer is one thing... filling up the escape with lots of camping gear and people will make for an interesting ride.

You appear to have a fair amount of towing experience - so at least you are not a greenhorn at this.

I would add a transmission cooler (another one) and maybe even an engine oil cooler. Someone else had mentioned once about going to the wrecker and pulling the cooler off of a full sized diesel pickup truck. Lots of cooling capacity & cheap price.
I'd gear down on the transmission on the hills for sure - up or down. I'd probably not tow that much weight with the transmission in OD - not even on the flats.

The 3.0L is not exactly a super power house engine - don't be trying to win any races....

Consider using a good quality synthetic oil - everywhere. This setup you have is going to generate a lot of heat.

My 2 cents worth...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014 22:44 
Forum moderator

I used to tow a 2500lb GVWR tent trailer with a 3.3L Hyundai santa fe. I thought it was a great setup, but wouldn't want to tow anything bigger.

a weight distributing hitch would be a must, and you've said you'd do that which is great. The rear ends of ALL the small SUV/CUV type vehicles are really soft and designed for passenger ride comfort, not load carrying or towing, so extra helpers may be needed if the WDH doesn't cut it. You'll be demanding a lot out of your escape engine & tranny with 3000+ lbs behind it. A tranny cooler is a good idea that has been mentioned.

I used to have a friend who towed a larger pop-up (probably in the 3000 to 3500lb range) with a ford escape. He did it for a few years, and had a couple white knuckle experiences with it - even with a WDH. Both times being passed by a big rig, with a modest cross wind and nearly lost it a couple times due to excessive sway. This was a properly set up trailer with enough tongue weight and a WDH. It was enough for him to ditch the combo and move up to a larger tow vehicle, then of course a larger trailer followed but that's besides the point. I'm not trying to scare you off, it's just my only knowledge of an escape w/ large pop up combo.

Not sure what your situation is, but if you can manage with a smaller pop-up I think you'll be happier with the combo - at least on the road.

2008 5.4L F150 FX4 4x4 Crew Cab

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]