It is currently 25 Jun 2017 15:27

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the BC RV Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access, to view discussions and access our other features join our free community. You will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What can I tow with a Dodge Dakota
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014 15:20 

I'm looking for a travel trailer that I can tow with my '06 Dakota. It is a 4.7L V8 4x4. It has the tow package so I'm assuming it has a 3.92 axle ratio. I personally want to go the Fiberglass route and am looking at an Escape 5.0 5th wheel. My wife is concerned that it may be too small. I would like a 5th wheel but it would appear that my choices are very limited. Does anyone out there tow a 5th wheel with a Dakota? How big is it? What's a good size for a regular trailer? It would just be the 2 of us.

Post subject: Re: What can I tow with a Dodge Dakota
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014 19:50 
Forum moderator

Welcome aboard Wayne. (it's been a few weeks, but this is your first post).

Never assume.... there are many site that you can decode your VIN and find out exactly what you have.

I can't say that I have seen too many Dakota's pulling a 5th as they seem to have about a 1200# payload - not a lot once you minutes passengers, fuel and worldly goods that you haul along.
The Escape 5.0 is probably pretty light on the king pin.

Dodge has a great interactive site to see what your tow rating is.
http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicle_2 ... ansmission

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014 20:23 

Thanks for the reply. We are just starting to look for a trailer. Something light, 18 to 22 feet, under 4000 lbs. The choices are overwhelming.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014 00:04 
Forum moderator

A hybrid may be a good choice. You should be able to find several floor plans within your trucks capability, and the fold-out bed(s) will give you more space than a regular TT of the same length.

I've personally known 2 Dakota owners. 1 has towed a starcraft antigua hybrid for years and likes the combo. The other did tow a 5er, but it was a very small 5er. I can't recall the brand, but overall length must have been about 18'. He had it set up with a slider hitch and said it towed fine.

2008 5.4L F150 FX4 4x4 Crew Cab

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014 15:29 

I've been looking for a Tokena (Albany, Oregon). They seem very well equipped and are all composite/ aluminum construction. There are no local dealers and no local inventory. I did contact the factory and found out that they are not currently in production as there production facility actually collapsed and they are in the process of rebuilding. They hope to be up and running in a month or so. The other product is the Camp Lite series by Livin' Lite, again another all aluminum design. Any opinions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]