It is currently 25 Jun 2017 15:37

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to the BC RV Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access, to view discussions and access our other features join our free community. You will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Making the transmission happy and long lived
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2014 06:58 

Figure for those not so familiar with auto transmissions, cooling is the critical thing to making your unit living long and truble free.

Much after 230degrees F the seals begine to harden and shrink, if you tow more then not, you want agressive cooling.

Even with this cooling you still get wear and tear,, Inside the tranny there is a screen if it blocks you are in need of a rebuild, another way to say it is this screen does not remove fine contaminants, eneter now the Parker LFS Automatic transmission filter!

It removes down to 7 microns nominal with a 5micron beta, what does that mean? It means you are not circulating liquid sand paper through all those fine orifices and delicate O-Ring seals and best of all keeping the cooler clean to do its job.

MOD: With the filter in hand take it to a good machine shop, have them drill 2 hols on the top flats of your filter (Or if room just use the other side and bush down the threads) and tap to 1/8 pipe.

On the incoming side put a 10psi switch, it will close on rise (As the pressur gets higher the switch will turn a light on) this is the change filter indicator.

On the out going side put in a transmission temp guage (This will usualy read higher then the transmissions body temp as we are measuring the fluid off the torque converter, this is what will tell us when we need to change the fluid over the usual schedual, hotter the fluid the sooner it would be wise to change it or take a sample and have it tested by an oil analisys company.

Pictures will follow when I have them.

920AH battery bank, flooded LA; 540w Solar; 1800w Inverter/transfer switch, Modified sin wave; 3Kw AJ Remote start Onan; EX3.5Kw Honda

Post subject: Re: Making the transmission happy and long lived
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2014 20:42 
Forum moderator

XeonPony wrote:
On the incoming side put a 10psi switch, it will close on rise (As the pressur gets higher the switch will turn a light on) this is the change filter indicator.

Pictures will follow when I have them.

Now that is just downright fancy.... but I have to admit that it is a great idea. :D

Good thing you mentioned that pics are coming... otherwise you would have gotten flagged.
Excellent Post!!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2014 18:53 

Having a modern truck. I am running Torque app on Android with a bluetooth adapter on the OBDII port to monitor my trans temps. I would say the factory tow package/cooler is doing a good job since I have never seen it over 208F (pulling up the Coquihalla) however extra filtration is on my to do list

Nights camped in 2015 - 13
Nights camped in 2014 - 29

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014 09:07 

well I monitor both trans body and fluid, the fluid is the real trick as leaving the torque convert it can be well over 300f, being mine is non locking it stays in the uppers like that so for me I need to be super agressive, since doing the trans cooler it stays below 150 when driving normal (Befor was in the upper 180-190s)

but the shock was when I learned the trans filter was really a trans screen was when I started to research much better filtration. and I am big on efficiency, as I don't like to waste money changing a filter that needn't requier it.

the internal by pass opens at 15psi, so with an adjustable switch set to ten psi gives you a good head room for filter life, these where built for ambulances and such so should last many towing miles.

still trying to find a camera to borrow.

here is a link to the unit: http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKE ... a71dacRCRD

the magazine write up I found about it: http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-how- ... lter-tech/

920AH battery bank, flooded LA; 540w Solar; 1800w Inverter/transfer switch, Modified sin wave; 3Kw AJ Remote start Onan; EX3.5Kw Honda

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014 21:37 

well with any luck next 3 days I'll have some pictures!, I just drove 400Km with max load over randome terrain, trans never got over 180 degrees ferihn, no leaks at the filter and the filter was pretty evenly hot.

So all mods turned out a massive success, and feels so nice with fresh trans oil in there!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014 18:22 

better late then never some pics

Attachments:
P7270098.JPG
P7270098.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 1965 times ]
P7270096.JPG
P7270096.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 1965 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014 08:00 

truck-mods-d-t1420.html

Link to the super duty cooling mod

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]